We read a variety of books by a diverse group of authors. We strive to be an anti-racist and anti-oppressive space for all feminists who are interested in good reads, good conversations and good laughs. We do not shy away from controversial issues or debates, as long as the conversation is respectful of others.
- We are a group of women-identified and non-binary feminists who like to read.
- We read a variety of books--fiction, non-fiction, essays, memoirs, short stories--on a variety of feminist topics and by a variety of authors with different identities (including, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, ability, nationality, age, class, etc.)
- Book club meetings are held once a month.
- We aim to be a safe and welcoming space that is mindful of triggers.
- We value diversity and aim to be an inclusive and anti-oppressive space for all feminists who are interested in good reads, good conversations and good laughs.
- We do not shy away from controversial issues or debates, as long as the conversation is respectful of others.
Our Tenets for Respectful Discussions:
- Speak as you normally do; use terms that you feel comfortable with (do not censor yourself, but be considerate).
- Assume good intent.
- Everyone is allowed to make mistakes.
- Be open to (un/)learning, even if it can be uncomfortable.
- Be kind when educating someone on something they don't know, a term they're unfamiliar with or if they've said something offensive ("Did you know __?" "Can I tell you about the history of this?" "Next time try using this term").
- You are the authority on your own experience and identity.
- We all have different areas of 'expertise' or can speak to specific experiences: feel free to share yours with us (we'll be grateful), but never feel obligated to speak on behalf of a group that you belong to.
- Recognize when it's your turn to listen.
- If you’re feeling triggered, you can always leave the discussion without excusing yourself and lean on any of us for support.
- Bring your sense of humour! We are hilarious women who believe that comic relief is powerful.